What information do we collect?
As part of doing business, we regularly collect personal information. What we collect about an individual, however, may differ depending on your relationship with Capital Group/American Funds.
If you own shares in the American Funds family of mutual funds or have an account with Capital Group Private Client Services, we may collect and retain certain nonpublic personal information about you, including:
- Information we receive from you or your financial intermediary, such as your name, address, date of birth, social security number and tax identification number;
- Information from third-party data services (for example, to update your address when you have moved and demographic and preference information to better understand your investment and service needs);
- Information, such as account balance and transaction activity (including, to the extent necessary for our servicing your account(s) with us or your investments with third parties);
- Information related to your relationship with us (for example, information received through application forms, your current and previous investments, investment preferences, communications regarding your investment, as well as any information, data or record that relates to services we may provide);
If you do business with Capital Group or its affiliates, we may collect and retain certain public and nonpublic personal information about you; including:
- Your contact and identification information, such as name, company, work and personal address, phone numbers, date of birth and representative identification number;
- Information regarding your business, such as assets under management, types of assets, customer profiles, areas of interest, preferences and coverage;
- Information from third-party data services (for example, information about your business, assets under management, preferences, business interests);
If you are an applicant, employee or contractor, we may collect and retain certain nonpublic information about you, including:
- Information we received directly from you such as your name, address, personal email address, phone numbers, date of birth, race, sex, ethnicity, social security number, fingerprints, prior employment history, education, skills and references, emergency contact information and banking information;
- Information we received from third parties such as confirmation of employment and educational history and criminal records;
- Information we receive to administer benefits under our employee benefit programs, such as health benefits, short- and long-term disability benefits, life insurance benefits and retirement benefits.
In all instances, our effort is to collect only the information we need to comply with the law, administer our pay and benefits programs and effectively run our business and for business purposes as described below. We occasionally disclose nonpublic personal information about you to affiliates and non-affiliates as permitted by law. We also may share your information with third parties who assist us with administering our pay and benefits programs and who help us to benchmark our employment practices, pay and benefits programs so that we can ensure we are providing premiere health, welfare and compensation programs to our associates.