Capital Group established the American Funds Insurance Series in 1984. With more than $151 billion in assets, it is one of the largest managers1 of assets for variable annuities and offers a suite of 34 insurance-dedicated funds. We believe in the value that protected lifetime income can play in an overall retirement strategy.
A variable annuity is a contract between you and an insurance company that can turn your assets into a protected retirement income that lasts your lifetime. It may help:
- Provide a reliable income stream that you won't outlive.
- Defer taxes on earnings — enabling your money to grow at a faster rate.
- Diversify your portfolio with a range of investment options underlying the annuity — typically mutual funds that invest in stocks, bonds, money market or a combination of all three.
- Leave a financial legacy to your beneficiaries through a guaranteed death benefit.
Talk with a financial professional today about the important role that a variable annuity could play to protect your income as part of your retirement strategy.
- Aligned with investor success — We base our decisions on a long-term perspective, which we believe aligns our goals with the interests of our clients. American Funds Insurance Series portfolio managers average 28 years of investment experience, including 23 years at our company, reflecting a career commitment to our long-term approach.2
- The Capital System℠ — The Capital System combines individual accountability with teamwork. Funds using The Capital System are divided into portions that are managed independently by investment professionals with diverse backgrounds, ages and investment approaches. An extensive global research effort is the backbone of The Capital System.
- Superior outcomes — American Funds Insurance Series equity funds have beaten their comparable Lipper indexes in 90% of 10-year periods and 100% of 20-year periods.3 Our fixed income funds have helped investors achieve diversification through attention to correlation between bonds and equities.4 We strive to keep management fees competitive. Over the past 20 years, most funds’ fees have been below industry averages.5
- When selecting long-term investments for variable annuity and variable life insurance products, many investors choose contracts that offer American Funds Insurance Series funds.
- American Funds Insurance Series funds are only available in insurance company products. For more information, please see the provider information below or contact your financial professional.
American Funds Insurance Series funds
American Funds Insurance Series Managed Risk Funds
American Funds Insurance Series — Portfolio Series℠
The five funds in the Portfolio Series are designed to help investors address specific needs such as:
- Building retirement savings
- Planning for retirement distributions
- Preserving long-term assets
The funds are aligned with two broad objectives — capital growth, or a balance of capital growth with income — to provide investors with a structured approach to pursuing specific goals as well as broad diversification.
The series includes three managed risk options that seek to manage volatility and help preserve capital during significant market declines.
Each Portfolio Series fund is a blend of individual funds within American Funds Insurance Series, which has been helping investors pursue retirement goals for more than 35 years.
Investment allocations may not achieve fund objectives. There are expenses associated with the underlying funds in addition to fund-of-funds expenses. The funds' risks are directly related to the risks of the underlying funds.
Portfolio Series funds are actively monitored by two committees of senior investment professionals with varied backgrounds and approaches, and decades of industry experience. They regularly review the funds' results and holdings to keep them aligned with their objectives.
- The Portfolio Solutions Committee, which oversees American Funds Portfolio Series, American Funds Retirement Income Portfolio Series® and other solutions including model portfolios, and
- The Target Date Solutions Committee, which oversees American Funds Target Date Retirement Series® and American Funds College Target Date Series®
The Portfolio Solutions Committee members include Alan Berro, Wesley Phoa and Andrew Suzman and additional portfolio managers Michelle Black, Samir Mathur, John Queen and Will Robbins.
The Target Date Solutions Committee members include Joanna F. Jonsson, James B. Lovelace, Wesley Phoa and Brad Vogt and additional portfolio managers Michelle Black, David Hoag and Samir Mathur.
American Funds Insurance Series funds are available in variable annuities through the following insurance companies: