Capital International Asset Management (Canada), Inc. part of Capital Group, from time to time collects personal information of Canadian residents. We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of all the personal information that is entrusted to us. Capital Group has global privacy standards intended to protect the personal information of our clients, business partners, and associates no matter how or where it is collected, used, or stored. We comply with all applicable privacy and security laws that apply to our business. In all instances, our effort is to collect only the information necessary to ensure we are offering and continuing to improve the products and services that best suit business and investment needs. This privacy statement is designed to help you understand what information we collect and how we use, disclose, and safeguard the information collected about you.
What information do we collect and how is it used?
We collect personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide the information, products or services requested by the individual or as reasonably expected given the context in which with the personal information was collected such as providing customer service, personalization of interactions with our company and preference management, providing product updates, and dispute resolution;
- To manage, comply with and enforce our contracts and to detect and protect against injury, theft, legal liability, fraud or abuse, to protect people or property, including physical security programs;
- For identity and credential management, including identity verification and authentication and system and technology administration;
- To protect the security and integrity of systems, networks, applications and data, including detecting, analyzing and resolving security threats, and collaborating with cybersecurity centers, consortia and law enforcement about imminent threats;
- For legal and regulatory compliance, including all uses and disclosures of personal information that are required by law or reasonably needed for compliance with company policies and procedures, such as anti-money laundering programs, security and incident response programs, intellectual property protection programs, diversity programs, and corporate ethics and compliance programs;
- For corporate audit, analysis and reporting;
- To de-identify the data or create aggregated datasets, such as for consolidating reporting, research or analytics; and
- For business continuity and disaster recovery purposes, including making backup tapes.
For the purposes described above, we may collect,
- Identifiers such as a real name, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, social insurance number, driver’s license number, passport number, bank account information or other similar identifiers;
- Commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, your account balance and transaction activity, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies;
- Biometric information;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding an individual’s interaction with an Internet Web site, application or advertisement;
- Geolocation information;
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory or similar information;
- Other descriptive data about an individual including language preferences, marital status, number of children, interests or other general information about the individual;
- Professional or employment related data;
- Education information; and Inferences drawn from any of the information identified in this subdivision to create a profile about an individual reflecting the individual’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behaviour, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes.
How do we collect information?
Personal information is collected through direct interaction with you, your authorized agents, and third party sources related to providing our products and services and can include
- Direct interactions with you and your authorized agents;
- On-line service providers;
- Third party data services;
- Data consortiums;
- Financial intermediaries and service providers;
- Account service providers;
- Regulatory authorities;
- Online activity; and
- Public registries and other publicly available sources
Capital Group may collect information you provide by interacting with us via social media, such as email address, company, job title, industry, opinions, or usernames. Any content you post on these social platforms, may also be subject to different privacy policies from the ones described here. You should read the privacy statements of these social platforms to better understand your rights.
No matter how your personal information is collected, we try to ensure its accuracy and completeness. In order to maintain the integrity of your information, please make sure to notify your advisor, financial intermediary or us about any changes as soon as possible.
With whom do we share your personal information?
We do not sell any personal information to any third parties. We occasionally disclose nonpublic personal information about you to affiliates and nonaffiliates as permitted by law including the disclosure of information to,
- third parties such as financial advisors, financial intermediaries, banks, or trust companies in order to establish and service financial accounts or products and process account transactions that you request or authorize;
- third party service providers and data consortiums to support our business operations;
- companies related to us, as permitted by law, to make you aware of new funds or other services that we offer;
- companies who provide account related services such as such as unitholder reports;
- research companies or other service providers that help to assess and improve our financial services, provide business insights and value, enrich your profile, and to help us serve you better;
- online service providers, social media providers, and digital advertising firms to support our business operations and help us provide tailored experiences and advertisements about our products and services;
- our auditors and/or professional advisers insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes of the performance of our statutory or prudential audit or managing risks, obtaining professional advice, or the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure.
- regulators, including but not limited to, the provincial securities commissions or government organizations to meet legal or regulatory obligations or in connection with legal proceedings.
Subject to an agreement including certain terms and conditions of use, your advisor may access your personal information electronically, including through a secure website to service your account(s). Such agreements between your advisor and us are designed to ensure appropriate controls and protections are in place to protect your personal information.
We may share your information with other Capital Group affiliates, located outside of Canada, including the United States, European Union, United Kingdom, to perform data storage and processing for the purposes set forth in this privacy statement. In such cases, the information is subject to the laws of Canada and the laws of the service provider’s place of business. In all cases, we require that appropriate controls and protections are in place to protect your personal information.
We may, from time to time, disclose personal information to service providers located outside of Canada, specifically the United States, Europe including the United Kingdom, Thailand and India who provide account-related services to us. Such service providers are bound by, and information may be disclosed in accordance with, the laws of the jurisdiction in which the service provider is located.
Note that in each case where personal information is shared with third parties, only the required information to provide the necessary services is disclosed, and the third parties are not permitted to use the information for any purpose other than to assist our servicing of your account(s) including helping us improve the services we offer or as permitted by law.
How do we obtain your consent?
When you agree to use our services, our website or submit personal information to us, either directly or through your financial advisor, your financial intermediary, you are consenting to our collection from, verification with, and communication to, any third party for the purposes described above. You also consent to the collection, use, disclosure and processing of your personal information by Capital Group’s agents and service providers for the purposes set out in this statement.
The information may be collected directly in several ways including through our application forms, in which case you will formally indicate your consent for us to collect and use the personal information. The information may also be provided by your financial advisor, financial intermediary, in which case, your consent is implicitly provided to us to collect and use the information. At the time of initial collection of your personal information by your financial advisor or financial intermediary, you will have provided consent to your advisor to disclose your personal information.
How do we protect your personal information?
We have always considered the protection of personal information to be a foundation of customer trust and a sound business practice. Within Capital Group and among our service providers, access to your nonpublic personal information is restricted to authorized employees who need it to provide products and services to you. We maintain and administer physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with legal and regulatory requirements to guard your personal information.
We also use a variety of protections to maintain the security of your online session. For example, we make extensive use of user authentication procedures, secure and encrypted communications, and internal security controls to the integrity of our systems and the confidentiality of your data.
Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security all of the time. There are inherent limitations due in part to the ever-changing nature of technology and cybersecurity attacks tactics. A data breach may result in the disclosure of sensitive information or risk of theft of identity and/or assets, and we have defined and implemented procedures to address a data breach should it occur.
What privacy rights do you have?
You may request access to your personal information and question its accuracy and completeness. We will respond to your request within 30 days of receipt. In certain circumstances we may not be able to provide you with access to specific pieces of information.
You may withdraw all or part of your consent for us to use your personal information within certain legal restrictions and reasonable notice. However, in certain circumstances withdrawal of your consent may affect our ability to administer your account(s).
You may request to do either of the above by contacting us using the contact information set forth below.
Personal information collected when you visit us online:
You can refuse or delete cookies. Most browsers automatically accept cookies but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. Web browsers and mobile devices offer their own settings to manage cookies. If you wish to block the cookies from our website, please visit the “settings” features of your mobile device, or browser and follow the instructions.
If you refuse a cookie when on our website, or if you delete cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our website. For example, we may not be able to recognize you, your device, or your online preferences.
We may use data collected to customize advertisements to you on other sites as you browse the Web. We may supplement the information we collect with nonpersonal information from other sources in order to enhance advertisements. We participate in the industry Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioural Advertising managed by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA). As part of this service, our website and any online advertisements from us are generally delivered with icons that help individuals understand how data about them is being used, and provides choices for individuals who want more control and an ability to opt out of such behavioural (targeted) advertising. Please click on the DAA icon or the icon in any targeted advertisements to opt out if you do not want your browsing behaviour used for online behavioural advertising purposes. In addition, Capital Group participates in the Adobe Experience Cloud Device Co-op to better understand your multiplatform usage of certain websites and Capital Group apps, and to deliver tailored promotions. Learn more about how Adobe does this and how you may opt out of this program.
How do you contact us about privacy?
We welcome inquiries or comments about your privacy. If you are an investor or advisor send us an e-mail from the "Contact us" button on our website capitalgroup.com/ca or call 888/421-5111.
If you are not satisfied with the results of your e-mail or phone call, contact our Chief Privacy Officer by mail (Attention Chief Privacy Officer, Capital International Asset Management, 181 Bay Street, Suite 3730, Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2T3).
Terms and conditions
Please review our privacy statement to ensure that you understand how we collect, use and disclose information about you. Our use of your personal information is subject to the terms of our privacy statement. It is understood that, by accessing our website at any time, you agree to accept the privacy statement as it appears at that time.
We take precautions to protect your personal information. When you submit sensitive information to our website, your information is protected both online and offline.
Each time you are using our website, you represent that you are over age of 18, and acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agreed to the terms herein and will follow all applicable laws and regulations.
This website may contain hyperlinks, or links to other sites. Websites linked from this site may have different privacy policies and security practices from the ones described here. You should read the privacy statements of other websites that you visit from this site. Capital Group does not endorse and is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any other website or sponsoring organization.
This privacy statement is effective December 1, 2021.
This privacy statement is reviewed periodically and will be updated as necessary to reflect any changes. Changes to the privacy statement become effective upon posting. We encourage you to periodically review the privacy statement to be informed of any changes.
The use of the website and all related matters are governed solely by the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada and applicable federal laws of Canada. Any dispute between Capital Group and you connected with or relating to the website or any related matters must be resolved before the Courts of the Province of Ontario sitting in the City of Toronto, and you hereby irrevocably consent and submit to the original and exclusive jurisdiction of those Courts in respect of any such dispute or matter.
Capital Group reserves the right to modify these terms at any time without notice. We encourage you to visit our website from time to time to access the most up-to-date version of these terms.
LinkedIn is owned by a third party unaffiliated with Capital International Asset Management (Canada), Inc. “(CIAM”), an affiliate of Capital Group or its subsidiaries. This site is governed by LinkedIn’s User Agreement and privacy policies. We encourage you to follow us on this and other social media channels and to read our terms as set out below.
- Shares and likes of fan posts are not an endorsement by Capital Group and do not represent the views of our organization.
- Opinions, statements or views expressed by Capital Group are subject to change and should not be taken as investment advice or recommendations. The use of the “follow” function is not intended to constitute an endorsement or testimonial of the account followed. Additionally, follows, replies or links to third-party content do not constitute an endorsement by Capital Group of an individual or entity.
- Capital Group reserves the right to block any follower who posts or links content that we deem inappropriate or offensive or constitutes a testimonial, advice, recommendation, or advertisement for securities, products or services, or is promotional in nature. We also reserve the right to block followers whose LinkedIn pages contain offensive or inappropriate content or serve as promotional sites.
- While we encourage you to connect with us, please refrain from posting anything personal or account-related. Our service centre at (866) 805-8407 can answer account-related questions and is available Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time (except on holidays).
Capital International Asset Management (Canada), Inc. (CIAM) is committed to meeting its current and ongoing obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the AODA accessibility standards as well as the Ontario Human Rights Code respecting accessibility and no discrimination based on physical or mental disabilities. CIAM is committed to excellence in serving all clients including people with disabilities. Our Accessibility Policy and Accessible Client Service Policy can be found here. If you wish to provide feedback on the services we provide to people with disabilities, you can call (888) 421-7979.
Questions or comments about your investments in the Capital Group funds should be directed to your financial advisor.
All Capital Group trademarks are owned by The Capital Group Companies, Inc. or an affiliated company in Canada, the U.S. and other countries. All other company names mentioned are the property of their respective companies. This LinkedIn account should not be considered a solicitation or offering of any investment product or service to investors.