Capital Group considers the privacy of its investors to be of fundamental importance and has established a policy to maintain the confidentiality of the information you share with us.
Personal information we collect
We do not sell any information to any third parties. However, we may collect and retain certain nonpublic personal information about you, including:
- information we receive from you or your financial intermediary, such as your name, address, date of birth and tax identification number;
- information from third-party data services (for example, to update your address when you have moved and demographic information to better understand your investment and service needs);
- information, such as account balance and transaction activity, about your investment transactions (including, to the extent necessary for our servicing your account(s) with us, your investments with third parties); and
- information collected from you online (for example, HTTP headers, IP address, pixel tags and/or cookies that collect your online preferences and viewing behaviors, allow us to recognize your browser to help improve your Web experience, provide tailored advertisements and provide you with information about our products and services tailored to your interests); and
Personal information we may disclose
We occasionally disclose nonpublic personal information about you to affiliates and nonaffiliates as permitted by law. Some instances when we have shared information include:
- disclosing information to a third party in order to process account transactions that you request or authorize; • sharing information with companies related to us, as permitted by law, to make you aware of new funds or other services that we offer;
- disclosing your name and address to companies that mail account related materials, such as shareholder reports (note that these companies may not use the information for any other purpose);
- disclosing information to research companies or other service providers that help to assess and improve our financial services, and help us provide tailored experiences and advertisements about our products and services; and
- disclosing information in connection with legal proceedings, such as responding to a subpoena.
When personally identifiable financial information is shared with third parties, they are not permitted to use the information for any purpose other than to assist our servicing of your account(s), including helping us improve the services we offer, or as permitted by law.
We restrict access to your nonpublic personal information to authorized persons. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your nonpublic personal information.
These measures reflect our commitment to maintaining the privacy of your confidential information. We appreciate the confidence you have shown by entrusting us with your assets.
To comply with federal regulations, information we receive from you will be used to verify your identity.
The internet: The American Funds and Capital Group affiliates’ websites are proprietary. While we strive to protect all information we receive when you log on to the websites, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us online, and you do so at your own risk. By entering the password-protected areas of our websites, you consent to our contacting you to discuss our products and services. We do not look for web browser “do not track” requests.
We may use data collected to customize advertisements to you on other sites as you browse the web. We may supplement the information we collect with nonpersonal information from other sources in order to enhance advertisements. We participate in the industry Self- Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising managed by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) (aboutads.info). As part of this service, our website and any online advertisements from us are generally delivered with icons that help consumers understand how data about them is being used and provides choices for consumers who want more control and an ability to opt out of such behavioral (targeted) advertising. Please click on the DAA icon or the icon in any targeted advertisements to opt out if you do not want your browsing behavior used for online behavioral advertising purposes. In addition, we participate in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Device Co-op, which helps us build experiences that seamlessly flow between all your devices (devices could include a desktop, laptop, tablet, phone or smart watch). The Device Co-op recognizes which of your devices are linked — used by the same person — through use of technology that includes cookies and your IP address (without collecting your personal information).
This privacy disclosure applies to investment and shareholder services offered by:
American Funds Distributors,® Inc.
American Funds Service Company®
Capital Research and Management CompanySM
Capital Bank and Trust CompanySM
Capital Guardian Trust CompanySM
Capital Internationa, Inc.TM
and the American Funds and Capital Group mutual funds with “American Funds” or “Capital” in their name, and includes the funds listed below:
American Balanced Fund®
American High-Income Municipal Bond Fund®
American High-Income Trust®
American Mutual Fund®
The Bond Fund of America®
EuroPacific Growth Fund®
Emerginf Markets Growth FundSM
The Growth Fund of America®
The Income Fund of America®
Intermediate Bond Fund of America®
International Growth and Income FundSM
The Investment Company of America®
Limited Term Tax-Exempt Bond Fund of America®
The New Economy Fund®
New Perspective Fund®
New World Fund®
Short-Term Bond Fund of America®
SMALLCAP World Fund®
The Tax-Exempt Bond Fund of America®
The Tax-Exempt Fund of California®
U.S. Government Securities Fund®
Washington Mutual Investors FundSM
For more information
For information about your account or our services, please contact your financial intermediary. American Funds investors may also review and correct any personal information by accessing our website, americanfunds.com, or by contacting us at (800) 421-4225.
Capital Group Private Client Services (“CGPCS”) clients may direct any questions to (866) 421-2166 or go to capitalgroup.com/pcs. All others should contact their financial intermediary.
For American Funds Investors:
Household Mailings and E-delivery
Each year, you are automatically sent an updated summary prospectus and annual and semi-annual reports for the fund. You may also occasionally receive proxy statements for the fund. In order to reduce the volume of mail you receive, when possible, only one copy of these documents will be sent to shareholders who are part of the same family and share the same household address. If you would like to opt out of household-based mailings, please call American Funds Service Company at (800) 421-4225 or write to the secretary of the fund at 333 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, California 90071. You may elect to receive these documents electronically in lieu of paper form by enrolling in e-delivery on our website, americanfunds.com/paperless.
FINRA makes available BrokerCheck, a search tool which provides important information about FINRA-registered securities firms and brokers. You may contact the FINRA BrokerCheck Hotline at (800) 289-9999, access this service on their website at finra.org/brokercheck or contact FINRA for a copy of their investor brochure.
If there is no activity in your account within a time period specified by state law, we may be required to transfer the account to the appropriate state.