Learn how to make a one-time exchange or establish an automatic exchange plan.
On the web
Once you’ve logged in, find the account for which you’d like to set up a one-time exchange and click the Exchange button.
Once you’ve logged in, find the account for which you’d like to set up an auto exchange and click the Automatic Plans button. Then select the Set Up link next to Auto Exchange.
You can make exchanges by calling Shareholder Services or our 24-hour automated phone service. Get phone numbers and service hours.
You can request an exchange by sending a letter of instruction that can be:
- Uploaded to our website
- Sent via fax to (888) 421-4351
- Sent via mail to the service center in your region
Through your financial professional
Your financial professional can make exchanges for you and set up automatic exchange plans.
For details on exchanging shares using any of these options, see Options for Managing Your Account.
Here are some things to know about exchanges:
- Exchanges may be completed within the same share class and are generally not permitted between share classes. Investments to American Funds U.S. Government Money Market Fund℠ Class A/529-A may be exchanged into Class C/529-C shares, except those of American Funds Inflation Linked Bond Fund®, Intermediate Bond Fund of America®, Short-Term Bond Fund of America®, Limited Term Tax–Exempt Bond Fund of America® and American Funds Short-Term Tax–Exempt Bond Fund®.
- A sales charge will apply for exchanges from money market fund Class A shares, if the shares exchanged were not already subject to a sales charge.
- The minimum investment is $250 for most funds. The money market fund and state-specific tax-exempt funds require a minimum investment of $1,000.
- To establish an automatic exchange plan, the receiving fund’s minimum investment must be met. Or, the originating fund’s balance must be at least $5,000 and the receiving fund’s minimum investment must be met within 5 months. The minimum amount for automatic exchanges is $50.
- For tax purposes, an exchange is considered a sale and purchase, unless it’s within a retirement plan. The sale and purchase are processed simultaneously at the share price determined after the exchange order is received.
- Exchanges from Class F-1, A or C shares into CollegeAmerica® Class 529-F-1, 529-A or 529-C shares may result in significant legal and tax consequences.
- Exchange requests submitted after the close of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) on a business day will be processed the next business day.
- The exchange privilege can be terminated or changed at any time upon 60 days’ notice.
It’s always a good idea to work with your financial professional when making decisions about your investments and account transactions. He or she can offer advice and ensure your decisions fit your long-term financial goals.