Buying and selling shares online
Learn how you can buy and sell shares online.
Ready to contribute more money to your American Funds account? Or would you like to make a withdrawal?
When you link your bank account to your American Funds account(s), you can complete transactions online quickly, easily and securely. Specifically, you can:
- Buy more shares at any time (up to $100,000 per day).
- Sell shares without delay (up to a value of $125,000 per day).
- Avoid the hassle and potential vulnerabilities of paper checks.
- Set up an automatic investment or withdrawal plan.
We urge you to consult your financial professional before making any changes to your account(s).
For your security, you must complete and send us a form before selling shares online.
After we receive and process the form, we’ll mail a paper confirmation to the address on the account. For your security, a 10-calendar day waiting period goes into effect at this time. This gives you the opportunity to review the confirmation — and contact us in the unlikely event you did not authorize the request.
At the end of the waiting period, you’ll see your bank account(s) listed when selling shares online.
Before you get started, have a check or your bank information on hand.
Note: Some accounts, including most employer-sponsored retirement plans and ABLEAmerica, are not eligible for online purchases.
- Go to Your Portfolio.
- Click Edit Your Profile.
- Click Set Up next to "Bank Information (for online investing)."
- Complete the 2-step process.
Once you’ve submitted your information, you can purchase shares immediately using your linked account(s).
Keep in mind
- Your transaction will be credited to your American Funds account the same day if your request is received and accepted before the close of the New York Stock Exchange®.
- Generally, your bank will credit or debit your checking or savings account for the appropriate amount within 3 business days.
- If you prefer, you can complete transactions by calling (800) 325-3590.