This policy applies to information collected by Capital Group Investment Management Limited ABN 73 164 174 501 and its related bodies corporate (including Capital International, Inc. ARBN 148 215 570. A company incorporated in California. Liability of the members is limited) ("Capital Group" or "we"). It outlines how we collect and use personal information that we hold about you in accordance with the Privacy Act.
What personal information is collected?
We only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for us to provide our products and services. If you do not provide the information that we ask for, we may not be able to provide the products or services you have requested. We may collect information such as your name, address, phone number, email address, tax file number, bank account details, other information that may be required for identification purposes, information about your investments and transactions and other information related to the services we provide.
How personal information is collected
We will generally collect your personal information directly from you, such as when you provide the information by phone, email or in an application form or when you deal with us as a key contact or employee of a client or counterparty of Capital Group. We may also collect your personal information from your financial adviser or authorised representative in the course of you applying to open an account with Capital Group. By using Capital Group services you consent to Capital Group collecting your information from you and/or your financial adviser.
Use and disclosure of your personal information
Capital Group may use your personal information for the primary purpose of providing investment management services, as well as for related purposes such as:
- to verify your identity or transactions which you may enter into with us;
- to administer and manage the provision of our products and services;
- to comply with laws and regulatory requirements including complying with any request made by a governmental authority or regulator, including in connection with legal proceedings or the prevention or detection of fraud and crime;
- to comply with Capital Group’s risk management policies and procedures;
- conducting due diligence as part of acceptance of your account with Capital Group; or
- another purpose related to the primary purpose.
For the purposes we have described, we may disclose your personal information:
- to our suppliers, contract and service providers, professional advisers, dealers and agents;
- to government agencies or individuals responsible for the investigation and resolution of disputes or complaints covering your use of our services and facilities including for example ASIC or AUSTRAC;
- other parties involved in the administration of your investments including custodians, authorised representatives, product issuers or mailing houses;
- anyone to whom our assets under management or business (or any part of it) are transferred (or offered to be transferred, subject to confidentiality provisions);
- other entities in the wider Capital Group; or
- where you have otherwise consented or as otherwise required or authorised by law.
Access and correction and updating personal information
Generally, we will provide you with access to your personal information that we hold within a reasonable time of a request unless an exception applies under the Privacy Act. If you believe the personal information that Capital Group holds is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date and we agree, we will amend it. If we disagree with you about the accuracy, completeness or currency of our records, then you have the right to request that we note your disagreement in our records. You should keep us informed of any changes to your information by notifying us in writing (which may be through your financial adviser). We may also ask you to review, confirm and advise of us changes to your personal information.
Storage and security of information
Capital Group stores personal information in a combination of computer storage facilities, paper-based files and other records. We will take reasonable steps to protect personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Cross-border disclosure of personal information
We may transfer personal information to related bodies corporate and unaffiliated service providers in locations beyond Australia (including, but not limited to, the United States, Switzerland and the United Kingdom) in the course of storing that information and when using or disclosing it for one of the purposes referred to above. When transferring personal information to foreign jurisdictions, Capital Group may take steps to ensure the overseas recipient of the information does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles in relation to the information. However, Capital Group may be unable to ensure the overseas recipient does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles in relation to your information. This may mean for information sent overseas you do not have the protections of, or any redress under, the Privacy Act. The overseas recipient may not be subject to privacy obligations equivalent to those under the Privacy Act and could be compelled by foreign law to disclosure the information. By using Capital Group services, you consent to Capital Group making the disclosure to overseas recipients on this basis.
Contacting us and complaints
If you wish to contact us for any purpose regarding this policy including making complaint about the way we have handled your personal information (including if you think we have breached the Privacy Act) you may do so to our Compliance Manager in writing, by mail or fax to the address or fax number set out at the end of this policy. When you contact us, please include your email address, name, address and telephone number and clearly describe your complaint. Our Compliance Manager will investigate the complaint and respond to you promptly. If you consider that we have failed to resolve the complaint satisfactorily, and you are an individual located in Australia, you can complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Changes to this policy
This policy is subject to change from time to time as Capital Group considers necessary. We will publish material changes by making them available on our website www.thecapitalgroup.com.au.
Level 18, 56 Pitt Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Ph: 02 8038 0800
Fax: 02 9247 2410